Each story presents a unique opportunity to create a visual dialogue. The story must drive the visual choices made, and creative must drive technological solutions.
As Production Designer, and Art Director of the Madagascar franchise films, I have had direct influence on the visual language that has generated years of brand recognition and over 2.2 billion in box office revenues for Dreamworks. I love storytelling, and am seeking collaborative and innovative opportunities to tell visual stories.
Production Designer, “Allumette” and “Arden’s Wake” (2015- March 2017)
- Visual lead on VR stories featured in International film festivals 2016 and 2017.
Production Designer, “Penguins of Madagascar” (2014)
- Widely credited for the successful redesign of “Penguins of Madagascar”, and ultimately launching the film into production.
- Designed in Northern California and primarily produced in India, requiring daily cross-site and cross-continent reviews. Clear and efficient communication was key to this successfully collaborative film.
- Strategized and collaborated with department heads to meet the rigorous production schedule demands.
- With a shortened released schedule and reduced budget, film was delivered four months ahead of schedule, and under budget.
- Conceived and produced a cost and time saving solution for the main end credits that were acknowledged by the head of the studio as “one of the studio’s most successful credit sequences”.
Art Director, “Madagascar 3, Europe’s Most Wanted” (2012), “Madagascar 2, Escape to Africa” (2008), “The Christmas Caper” (2006), “Madagascar” (2005)
“Tusker” (1999-2001) unreleased
* Worked closely with Directors and Production Designer to create the visual language that is widely recognized and celebrated for the Madagascar franchise films.
- Responsible for creating the approved Madagascar “look of film” visual development artwork that launched the production.
- Collaborated closely with artists in all departments on a daily basis, ensuring design integrity throughout the production.
- Point person for all consumer product and style guide approvals
Teaching and Mentoring
- UC Santa Cruz, and San Jose State, Lecture courses on visual story design.
- Dreamworks EFX Challenge and Outreach, graduate student portfolio reviews and assignment feedback in preparation for careers in the film industry.
- ILM/ Universal, “Frankenstein” (1998-1999) unreleased
- Warner Bros., “The Incredible Mr. Limpet” (1997-1998) unreleased
- Dreamworks Animation, “Antz” (1997), “Shrek2” and “Over the Hedge”
Design and Illustration
- Tenth Planet Digital Media, Designer/Animator for educational software.
- Editorial Illustrator, Various national publications, record companies and advertisement agencies.
- Magnet Interactive Studios, Wrote, designed, directed and produced award winning animated short, “Hats and Dogs”. (1994)
– Chicago Film Festival – Marin Film Festival- PBS Independent Film Makers
Art Center College of Design, Pasadena CA
BFA with Distinction, (1987)
* Imdb credited Production Designer and Art Director
* Society of Illustrators NY, (1996- present) Featured in a permanent collection of 20th Century Women of Illustration